Word of advice, If you are deviant ISKCON leader, please don’t try to add me as friend on facebook because I am kinda allergic to deviations. This incident started when Bali das (Bolaji Rosiji) sent me a friend request on facebook. Before confirming friendship, I reviewed his facebook profile, the rest is history.
This video, posters and gambling looks like my worst nightmare of what ISKCON could become. And slowly, it is already becoming like that.
My letter to Kavicandra Swami
Message-ID: <CAHEdfkGShsMxvUydE=wEv021Nsnw-JmhA6hfYsevBJq_HpRwQg@mail.gmail.com> Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2017 17:47:29 +0000 Subject: Festival of India - Lagos From: Hanuman das To: "Kavicandra Swami (GBC Japan)" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Dear Kavicandra Swami,
please accept my humble obeisances.
All glories to Srila Prabhupada.
Am I writing to you as the GBC for Nigeria.
Recently, I saw an ad for Lagos Ratha yatra which took place on Aug 13th 2016.
Ad is visible here: https://www.facebook.com/festivalofindialagos/videos/1750927168488611/
I have few major complains on this whole event:
- Ad says that tickets for the event can be purchased at the “Tasty fried chicken” outlets.
- There is ISKCON logo displayed all over the place.
- Half naked women are in the video and posters.
- Srila Prabhupada is nowhere to be found.
- There was lottery going on (gambling) as seen here
- Chairman of the Festival of India Planing committee is Bali das (Bolaji Rosiji) as seen here. Can you tell me who is his guru?
Now, I hope I don’t have to quote from Prabhupada’s books to prove that this event is complete nonsense in all regards and severely reduces ISKCON’s reputation as genuine spiritual movement.
Why did you, as GBC for Nigeria allow that ISKCON logo can be used on such an event? And why ISKCON devotees participated in organising something which I would only describe as “cat and dog” zoo.
Is there any subtle point that I am missing?
your servant, Hanuman das
Although it would be ideal that Kavicandra Swami never allowed this chicken yatra to happen in the first place, he did here two things which are important:
- He replied to my email. That is something you can’t always expect to get.
- He didn’t side with local deviant leaders and he didn’t try to defend nonsense, rather admited the mistake and took Prabhupada’s side.
Question remains that why local ISKCON devotee who organised this event was put in charge of this project when he obviously doesn’t have a clue about what is Krishna consciousness.
Received: by mail.pamho.net (COM 3.89.6); Mon, 02 Jan 2017 07:20:41 +0100 Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2017 14:14 +0800 From: "Kavicandra Swami (GBC Japan)" <Kavicandra.Swami@pamho.net> To: "Hanuman (das) SDHS (Zagreb - HR)" <Hanuman.SDHS@pamho.net> Subject: Re: Festival of India - Lagos
Thank you .. I also had many complaints about he event.. It will not happen again T
This article originally appeared on Lasting Impression website